Due to strong demand the Bee Farmer has designed a on-line beekeeping course. The objective of the course is to provide a well rounded knowledge of keeping honeybees to get the beginner off to flying start. A beekeeper needs to be proactive since the bees have their own agenda and will carry on regardless. Understanding how and why bees work will lead to a greater enjoyment of your honeybees and to recognise when they need support.
Below is an outline of the syllabus.
- History of Honeybees
- Biology of the Honeybee
- Life cycle of the honeybee
- Swarming – What it is and how to deal with it
- Pest & diseases – Identification and remedial actions
- Hives – Types, pros and cons
- Colony assessment & hygiene
- Health, safety & PPE
- Record keeping
- Apiaries – site selection, risk assessment
- Bee keeping annual diary
- Welfare manifesto